Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Mercury Program


Whenever I'm doing anything, there's got to be music on. I think that's a pretty standard statement for anybody. The thing is, if I'm doing homework or anything that requires a decent amount of thinking, it's not uncommon for me to be singing the songs and accidentally write the lyrics to a song that I'm really into on my chemistry homework instead of writing the oxidation of a copper (II) ion. What I've come up with is that listening to music without words isn't even bad when you listen to artists like The Mercury Program or Maserati or Explosions in the Sky.

Most recently I've been listening to The Mercury Program, specifically "You Give Me Problems About My Business." It allows me to concentrate on my work rather than the lyrics to my frequent flyer iTunes songs. It goes to show that the music's not just about the words. It's about the quarter notes and eighth notes and all the notes in between. It's about the sudden change of tempo or the crescendo before the bridge. Sure, some artists are meant to sing and write meaningful lyrics to accompany their songs, but artists like The Mercury Program are fine left by themselves.

No comments: