Wednesday, March 5, 2008

John Mayer "Say(s)" it all, all the time.


I can't say there's anything I listen to more than John Mayer. It's probably the greatest music anyone could ever listen to and I'll fight anyone who dislikes him until they realize for themselves that his music is much more than the poppy (but AMAZING) songs on the radio. You can say his tone is boring, but you'd be wrong. You can say he's just another typical singer/songwriter, but you would be ever more wrong. Besides his amazingly good looks and comedic interludes between songs at live shows, John Mayer has developed a new caliber for any other person on the radio.

The point of the matter is that you need to go deeper than radio hits with most artists, but John Mayer is too good to even produce a song that can be considered overplayed. They're just too good. I'm just saying, if I had to pick my top songs from the three studio albums, it would be a completely different experience for listeners than the songs on the radio. From his latest studio album "Continuum," i'd definitely choose "Stop This Train." From the 2003 album "Heavier Things," it would be "Something's Missing." From his earliest full-length sudio album "Room for Squares" (2001), it would have to be my favortite song of ALL TIME, "3x5."

Even though I've known this song for a longggg time now (50+ plays on iTunes in the last month(ish)), when I heard Mayer was writing a song for the movie "The Bucket List," starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, I was hit with extreme excitement, but I waited patiently hoping that it wouldn't be a song addressing the movie alone. And then it came... "Say." Musical genious. Talent not only with the irresistable vocals but the perky strumming of the acoustic guitar and harmonies behind the main vocal track. Equipped with lyrics to live by, "Say" is on the radio and deserves to be played on loop all day long. I know I'm not the only one that thinks so.

I'm telling you.. it's a sign. I woke up this morning (delayed opening - thank you HSPAs!) and something told me to turn on VH1. Less than a minute later I'm watching John Mayer preach about the "Save the Music" foundation, then the video for "Say" came on. What a wonderful coincidence.

This is the first rant about John Mayer I have, and you can count on many many many more. All's I'm saying is don't bother arguing with me about him. You won't win.



- Ashley

No comments: